Government making all necessary steps to get liquor baron back to India

Govt making all necessary steps to get maliya back to India
Govt making all necessary steps to get maliya back to India

A day after Vijay Mallya was arrested in London, Union Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu on Wednesday said the Centre is making all necessary steps to get the liquor baron back to India and put him before the law.

Union Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu further said that the government would persuade the UK Government to extradite the liquor baron from UK.

“We will be impressing upon the UK government to extradite the liquor baron from UK and send him back to India as he is facing charges in India. We hope UK government will respond positively.

Mallya was arrested yesterday by Scotland Yard in London on an extradition warrant by India. He was later granted bail.

Following Mallya’s arrest, the Scotland Yard issued a statement saying that the absconding businessman was arrested on behalf of the Indian authorities in relation to accusations of fraud.

“Officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Extradition Unit have this morning, Tuesday 18 April arrested a man on an extraction warrant. He was arrested after attending a central London police station, and will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later today, 18 April,” read the official statement of the Scotland Yard.

His arrest came after a Delhi court had issued an open-ended non-bailable warrant against Mallya in connection with the 1995 FERA violation case.

Last month, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) informed that Mallya’s extradition has been stratified by the Secretary of State of the U.K. Government and added that a warrant would soon be released against him.

Arun jaitley will leave on a five-day official visit to USA

Arun jailey will leave on a five-day official visit to USA
Arun jailey will leave on a five-day official visit to USA

Union Minister for Finance, Defence and Corporate Affairs Arun Jaitley will tomorrow leave on a five-day official visit to the United States of America to participate in the Spring Meetings of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF).

Jaitley will be accompanied by an official delegation comprising Shaktikanta Das, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs (DEA); Dr. Arvind Subramanian, Chief Economic Adviser (CEA) and a team of RBI officials led by RBI Governor Urjit Patel.

Upon arrival, the Finance Minister will be briefed by the Executive Director (Indian Constituency) of World Bank and Executive Director (Indian Constituency) of IMF. In the evening, the he is slated to hold a meeting with the Editorial board of Washington Post, followed by an official dinner hosted by the Heritage Foundation.

Jaitley and Patel will participate in the G-20 Meeting on Financial Sector Development and Regulations and other issues on April 21, along with Das. Later in the day, the Finance Minister, along with the RBI Governor and Secretary (Economic Affairs), will participate in IMFC’s introductory session on Global Development and Prospects.

Thereafter, the Finance Minister and the RBI Governor will participate in IMFC’s session on Early Warning Exercise.

On the following day, Jaitley will take part in the IMFC restricted breakfast session and thereafter, will participate in the IMFC plenary session along with Patel and Das.

Thereafter, the Finance Minister will hold a meeting with his US counterpart and the US Secretary of Treasury, Steven Mnuchin.

In the afternoon, he will participate in the Development Committee Plenary Meeting of the World Bank. In the evening, the Finance Minister will hold meetings with his Bangladeshi counterpart Abul Maal Abdul Muhith and will also have a meeting with the President, World Bank

The Trump has review its policy on the use of nuclear weapons

The Trump has review its policy on the use of nuclear weapons
The Trump has review its policy on the use of nuclear weapons

The Trump administration has begun to review its policy on the use of nuclear weapons in order to compete with countries like Russia.

The review, which occurs every eight years, would establish U.S. nuclear policy, strategy and force posture regarding the use of nuclear weapons.

U.S. Secretary of Defence James Mattis on Monday announced that the Department of Defence has begun its Nuclear Posture Review, after President Donald Trump directed him to undertake in a Presidential memorandum signed during his January visit to the Pentagon

Chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana White, in a statement, said that a final report would be presented to Trump by the year end.

So far, there have been three reviews since the end of the Cold War, the most recent one conducted under President Barack Obama in 2010.

“If you look back not just to the 2010 nuclear posture review, but if you look back 20 years … you see a fundamental de-emphasis of nuclear weapons in our national security strategy.

The 2010 report had listed nuclear terrorism and proliferation as the primary nuclear threats and declared that Russia and the U.S are no longer adversaries.

The 2010 report also placed limits on the U.S. willing to use nuclear weapons.

The report said, “The United States will not use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapons states that are party to the (Non-Proliferation Treaty). It said that the U.S. would not retaliate against a chemical or biological weapons attack with nuclear weapons.”

The review will be led by the Deputy Secretary Of Defence and the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Paul Selva including other interagency partners.

UK PM Theresa May to trigger Brexit on March 29

Britain said Monday it will trigger its exit from the European Union on March 29, nine months after the country voted to leave the bloc.

Triggering Article 50 of the EU’s Lisbon Treaty, the formal procedure for leaving the bloc, will open a two-year timetable for difficult negotiations, meaning Britain could be out of the EU by 2019.

“The UK’s permanent representative to the EU informed the office of (European Union President) Donald Tusk that it’s the UK’s intention to trigger Article 50 on March 29,” Prime Minister Theresa May’s spokesman said.

The spokesman said May would notify Tusk in writing and then give a speech to the British parliament.

Britain voted in a June referendum by a 52 percent majority to leave the EU — the first member state ever to do so.

Monday’s announcement comes just days before the European Union celebrates the 60th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome which created the bloc.

The European Commission, whose chief negotiator Michel Barnier will spearhead the talks with London on behalf of the other 27 member states, said it was ready for the Brexit process.

Britain’s Brexit minister David Davis said in a statement that Britons had approved a “historic decision” to leave the EU after four decades of membership.

“Next Wednesday, the government will deliver on that decision and formally start the process by triggering Article 50,” he said.

“We are on the threshold of the most important negotiation for this country for a generation,” Davis added.

May has said she wants to leave the European single market in order to be able to control immigration.

The European Commission is expected to provide an initial answer to Britain’s Article 50 notification within 48 hours but negotiations are not expected to start for several weeks or even months.

The British government has insisted the Brexit process is irreversible once Article 50 is triggered, although experts have said there is no legal ban on member states changing their minds before they have actually left the European Union.

May’s preparations for Brexit have been hit by Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon’s announcement last week that she planned a new independence referendum in order to keep EU ties.

Irish nationalist party Sinn Fein in Northern Ireland, which made major gains in regional elections earlier this month, has also called for a referendum on breaking off from the United Kingdom and uniting with the Republic of Ireland.

Of the United Kingdom’s four nations, Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay in the EU in the June 23 vote while England and Wales voted to leave.

May on Monday began a tour of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland aimed at boosting support for Brexit.

Protests in PoK against Gilgit-Baltistan province issue

Protests have erupted in Pakistan occupied Kashmir over Pakistani govt’s move to carve out a 5th Pakistani province of Gilgit Baltistan.

Protesters have hit out at the move saying it is a bid to use land for the proposed China-Pakistan Economic Corridor Project.

Voices raised against the move to create a 5th Pakistani province of Gilgit Baltistan. Lawyers in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, took to the streets in protest.

They termed it a camouflaged move by the Sharif government to use land for China-Pakistan Economic Corridor.

CPEC passes through Gilgit-Baltistan and it is strategically crucial as it connects China, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Central Asia. India has termed Pakistan’s move as “entirely unacceptable” as it pertains to challenging the sovereignty of the country.

A committee headed by Pakistan’s foreign policy chief Sartaj Aziz had proposed to make Gilgit-Baltistan the fifth province of the country. Currently Gilgit-Baltistan is treated as a separate administrative unit by Pakistan with a regional assembly and an elected chief minister.

It shares a geographical boundary with Pakistan-administered Kashmir, and India considers it part of undivided Jammu and Kashmir. With voices from within POK condemning the move and with locals in Gilgit-Baltistan refusing to give up land for CPEC, Pakistan has been forced to tread cautiously in the matter.

North Korea fails in new missile test: Seoul

A new North Korean missile test failed today, the South’s defence ministry said, two weeks after Pyongyang launched four rockets in what it called a drill for an attack on US bases in Japan.
The North fired one missile from an air base in the eastern port of Wonsan Wednesday morning, but the launch “is believed to have failed”, Seoul’s defence ministry said in a statement.

“We are in the process of analysing what type of missile it was,” it added. The statement came after Japan’s Kyodo news service, citing an unidentified government source, said the North might have launched several missiles and that they were a failure.

Nuclear-armed North Korea is under several sets of United Nations sanctions over its atomic and ballistic missile programmes.

It is on a quest to develop a long-range missile capable of hitting the US mainland with an atomic warhead, and staged two nuclear tests and multiple missile launches last year. Earlier this month it launched a flight of four ballistic missiles, with three landing provocatively close to Japan in what Pyongyang described as practice for attacks on US military bases in Japan.

On Sunday, the North’s leader Kim Jong-Un personally oversaw and hailed a “successful” test of what Pyongyang said was a new rocket engine which can be easily repurposed for use in missiles.

Seoul said that experiment showed “meaningful progress” in the North’s missile capabilities.

The developments come as Seoul and Washington hold large-scale annual joint military exercises that always infuriate Pyongyang, which sees them as a rehearsal for invasion.

Analysts’ opinions are varied on how advanced the North’s missile technologies are but many agree that Pyongyang has made significant progress in recent years.

The engine test was apparently timed to coincide with a recent Asia trip by new US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who warned that regional tensions had reached a “dangerous level.”

Washington would drop the “failed” approach of “strategic patience” with Pyongyang, Tillerson said, warned that US military action was an “option on the table” if necessary a sharp divergence from China’s insistence on a diplomatic approach to its neighbour, which it has long protected.

This week the North’s state news agency KCNA boasted that Tillerson had “admitted the failure” of US policy to denuclearise the nation. Pyongyang insists that it needs nuclear weapons for self-defence against “hostile enemies” including the South and its ally the US

US lawmakers call for independent probe of Trump aides’ Russia links

Questioning the integrity of a congressional panel’s investigation of alleged links between US President Donald Trump’s campaign aides and Russia, critics and opponents are demanding a separate probe conducted by a select committee or independent commission.

Citing “grave concerns” about the conduct of panel chairman Devin Nunes, who is a Republican, Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the panel said on Wednesday, “It does underscore the importance of establishing an independent commission, a body that is fully independent of any political considerations including those that may emanate from the White House.”

Even Republicans joined in the criticism, and sought an independent probe. Senator John McCain, a Republican heading the powerful armed services committee of the upper chamber of US congress, said he is calling for “select committee or a special committee … (as) that no longer does the congress have credibility to handle this alone”.

Nunes’s remarks led to this chorus of demand for a separate probe — he said he had seen evidence of “incidental” surveillance of Trump campaign’s communications team by US intelligence, which was used by the president to say he felt “somewhat” vindicated about his charge that his predecessor Barack Obama had ordered the wiretapping of Trump Tower.

Nunes took whatever evidence he had first to a press conference and then to the White House, without looping in the rest of the committee, the House permanent select committee on intelligence.

A furious Schiff said in a statement that “a credible investigation cannot be conducted this way”.

London attacker identified as 52-year-old Khalid Masood, no prior intel on activities

The attacker who killed three people near parliament in London before being shot dead was named on Thursday as British-born Khalid Masood, who was once investigated by MI5 intelligence officers over concerns about violent extremism.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement issued by its Amaq news agency, but did not name Masood and gave no details. It was not clear whether the attacker was directly connected to the jihadist group.

Police said Masood, 52, was born in the county of Kent in southeast England and was most recently living in the West Midlands region of central England. He was known by a “number of aliases”.

“Masood was not the subject of any current investigations and there was no prior intelligence about his intent to mount a terrorist attack,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

“However, he was known to police and has a range of previous convictions for assaults, including GBH (grievous bodily harm), possession of offensive weapons and public order offences” ranging from 1983 to 2003.

Prime Minister Theresa May earlier told parliament the attacker had once been investigated by the MI5 intelligence agency over concerns about violent extremism, but was a peripheral figure.

During five minutes of mayhem in the heart of London on Wednesday, Masood sped across Westminster Bridge in a car, ploughing into pedestrians. He then ran through the gates of the nearby parliament building and fatally stabbed an unarmed policeman before being shot dead.

Police arrested eight people at six locations in London and Birmingham in the investigation into the attack, which May said was inspired by a warped Islamist ideology.

The Enterprise rental car company said the vehicle used in the attack had been rented from its Spring Hill branch in Birmingham, which is located in the West Midlands.

“An employee identified the vehicle after seeing the licence plate in an image online. We ran another check to verify, and immediately contacted the authorities,” said company spokesman John Davies.

About 40 people were injured in the attack, of whom 29 remain in hospital, seven in critical condition.

The attack took place on the first anniversary of attacks that killed 32 people in Brussels, and resembled Islamic State-inspired attacks in France and Germany where vehicles were driven into crowds.

The dead were two members of the public, the stabbed policeman and Masood.

“My thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathy are with all those who have been affected by yesterday’s awful violence,” Queen Elizabeth said in a message.

US tourist Kurt Cochran was named as one of the dead in a Facebook post by family member Shantell Payne.

“With a heavy heart I must pass the sad news of our beautiful brother, father, husband, son and friend Kurt Cochran, he could not overcome the injuries he received in the London terror attacks,” Payne wrote.

Her post said Cochran’s wife, Melissa Payne Cochran, was in hospital with a broken leg and rib and a cut on her head but would recover.